My latest addiction on the world wide web is to track down exceptional cover versions.
I have tried to exert some control over the addiction – by setting up a rating system to exclude poor covers. You know the sort of thing – *****, ****, ***, and so on. 2 stars get deleted. 3 stars are kept just in case my mood changes and the lucky cover get upgraded.
For a cover version to get 5 stars it has to be exceptional – better than the original. An example is Gail Swanson’s version of The Rolling Stones’ Sympathy for the Devil. As is Mother’s Little Helper, another Stones cover, this time by Linda Draper.
I had never known so many blogs and websites devoted to the cover version existed. There is one on just about every corner. Just as well as my addiction has hit an all time high with the holidays. Cover Freak is the best of the lot in my humble opinion. I check it every Monday. See the links to the right if you would like to check out more sites.
A few faves from the 4 and 5 star collection:
- Satisfaction by Cat Power (The Rolling Stones). Also the version by PJ Harvey and Bjork
- Wild Horses by Charlotte Martin (The Rolling Stones)
- Miss You by Jacqui Naylor (The Rolling Stones)
- Billie Jean by Chris Cornell (Michael Jackson) live
- Everybody Hurts by Dashboard Confessional (REM) live
- Use Me by the Montbleau Band and Grace Potter (Bill Withers) live
- Can’t Help Falling in Love by The Eels (Elvis Presley)
- You Know I’m No Good by the Arctic Monkeys (Amy Winehouse)
- Papa was a Rodeo by Bright Eyes (The Magnetic Fields)
- Downtown Train by Everything But the Girl (Tom Waits)
- Disco 2000 by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (Pulp)
- Common People by William Shatner (Pulp)
- Smells Like Teen Spirit by Patti Smith (Nirvana)
- I Wan’na Be Like You by Smashmouth (Disney – The Jungle Book)
Let me know your faves so I can feed my addiction add them to my collection.